Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 333 - 11/28/12

Do you have an advent calendar?  This one was given to me by my friend well over 20 years ago.  When Matt was in elementary school, it was a great aid in keeping up with the busy season and making sure Matt was kept busy too.  I would create an activity for each day, write it down on a strip of paper, and stick it in the pockets.  He always had something to look forward to.  I found an old list from 1998.  Here are some of our activities:
  •  Put up the nativity and read the Christmas Story
  • Buy a new Christmas book
  • Watch "The Muppet's Christmas Carol"
  • Invite someone over for a snack after church 
  • Box up old toys for the Island of Misfit Toys
  • Go look at the neighborhood Christmas lights
  • Write a letter to Santa Claus
  • Make gifts for teachers
  • Make hot chocolate
  • Have dinner by candlelight
  • Collect and deliver food for the food pantry
  • Make a birthday cake for Jesus
  • Put food out for the deer and birds
  • Play Santa Claus to someone
  • Ring the church bell
Matt recently told me that when he comes home for Christmas break, he expects the advent calendar to be filled with activities this year.  I'm glad he has good memories of it.  But it's kind of hard to come up with activities for a 22 year old.  I guess we'll be watching a lot of Christmas movies and eating dinner by candlelight.

Bonus:  Did you notice the unusual sky tonight.  If you looked at the full moon, you would have noticed a shiny star just above it.  Well, it wasn't actually a star, it was the planet Jupiter.  Even Dave remarked on it several times.  I took this picture before I went to bed.  I had to step up the brightness in order to show Jupiter in the top right corner, and it revealed a sky full of stars.  It's not a beautiful photo, but I'm completely in awe when I look at it.  We are so inundated by man-made light, that God cannot completely reveal his creation to us.  I'm so glad I stumbled upon this beautiful sky.  Click on the photo to "embiggen" it.  Maybe it will bring you a new appreciation for the night sky and what God's wondrous hand has made.

11 comments:

el-mundo-en-colores said...

what a cute calendar.. we don't have one, but maybe we get one soon, or maybe a candle to burn each day..

S. Etole said...

We used to have an advent calendar and a candle that we burned each day until Christmas. Enjoying all your beautiful photos.

Sacha said...

Laura ton calendrier de l'Avant est fort beau !!
Je n'en possède pas , mais chaque jour jusqu'à Noêl une petite bougie parfumée est allumée pour cette occasion
Bonne journée Laura
Bises
Sacha

SKC said...

I love how you focused on the calendar. What a wonderful tradition to carry on.

Jolie said...

I didn't know what and Advent calendar was until I just read your post. What a neat thing to do. I guess mine is just called a To Do list :) Love how the Christmas lights are blurred in the background of the photo.

bailey-road.com said...

What a wonderful tradition! I think it's great that your adult son still expects the calendar to be filled with activities.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I made an Advent calendar for my granddaughter.I find little trinkets and gifts to put in each pocket.

Linda R said...

What a wonderful photo of your Advent calendar. I wish I had done that with my daughter. Such a wonderful idea..

Hugs~

Gail Dixon (Louisiana Belle) said...

Awww, how sweet to see that list from '98. Must've brought back memories for you. The bokeh in your shot is incredible.

Tammie Lee said...

i love what you did with this calender Laura! how special. to think there are twenty years of memories from using it. love that!

so it was Jupiter. I saw it directly above the moon. I thought that was a unique sight. I am sure it will end up in a painting. such a beautiful sky photograph!

Anita Johnson said...

Wow! You got a great picture of the beautiful planet. I was very touched by a friends call, "Anita, grab your camera and get a picture of the moon tonight!" Your photo captured the beauty so much more than mine! (o: